The AGC Construction Advocacy Fund – originally established as the Public Awareness and Advocacy Fund – allows us to finance our efforts to expand markets, protect the industry from regulatory overreach and advocate for our members.
The Fund helps finance a host of critical campaigns, including our ongoing efforts to fight for federal infrastructure investments, push back against costly, and needless, new regulatory burdens, promote workforce development and workplace safety and enhance construction technology.
The Fund fuels the association’s efforts to expand market opportunities for construction contractors by:
- Educating media and elected officials about construction’s role in shaping a strong economy
- Pushing for transportation funding to improve our aging highways, bridges and transit systems
- Working to establish a water infrastructure fund to finance water system repairs
- Getting legislation to fund repairs to aging ports and waterways approved.
- Working to change public policy to make it easier to use public private partnerships to fund infrastructure investments.
PROTECTING AGAINST REGULATORY OVERREACH
The Fund makes it possible for AGC to protect the industry from unneeded and costly over regulations such as:
- Imposing new Silica Limits so low that they can’t even be measured with existing technology which would require employers to purchase costly medical monitoring and engineering controls
- Allowing for Quickie Elections that will restrict employers’ ability to communicate during the union election process and push signatory contractors into permanent bargaining relationships
- Forcing contractors to seek EPA Clean Water permits before working on projects where water might accumulate in puddles, ditches or minor creeks
- Imposing Government Mandated Project Labor Agreements on a range of federal construction projects, limiting competition and restricting contractors ability to bargain
- Making it even more expensive and complex to provide Healthcare for employees
- Declaring Coal Fly Ash a toxic substance, eliminating its use in construction material
- Establish new Lead Paint rules that will increase the cost of renovating older commercial buildings without improving health or safety
- Impose new, post-construction Stormwater Runoff Rules that threaten to hold contractors liable for structures they didn’t design and don’t operate.
- Significantly complicate federal highway DBE Program that will make it even hard for contractors to comply with this well-intentioned but ineffective program.
- Radically redefine Federal Affirmative Action programs that will force contractors to spend billions proving they are doing what federal data already shows they are doing
ADVOCATING FOR THE INDUSTRY
The Fund allows AGC to push for greater workplace safety, new workforce development measures and better construction technology, including:
- Shedding light on the pending construction workforce shortage and the need to reinvigorate high school level career and technical training programs.
- Playing lead roles in a number of key coalitions that are pushing for comprehensive immigration reform designed to open labor markets.
- Promoting member firms’ efforts to improve workplace safety and provide clear, measurable data on how contractors in each state are faring.
- Highlighting the need for greater highway work zone safety.
- Making important investments in its agcXML initiative that will ultimately enable different construction software to work together in a seamless and efficient manner.